Friday, March 5, 2010

The Wedding Cake

When I was asked to do a wedding cake, I was a bit nervous (BTW those nerves never left!)  I explained to the bride that I am NOT a professional cake decorator!  I am a Mom with a hobby!  She explained what she wanted and then showed me the picture. 
It was the cake Mariah Carey had at her recent wedding, with a few variations.  She wanted 3 tiers and the hearts to be red and white.  I thought I can do this, but it was going to be HUGE (for me)!   Mark was my savior on this cake!  This would not have all come together without his awesome brain! (and his muscles - I will explain later).  The prep work was draining!  I spent many a night in bed thinking and thinking about this cake.  It was so big, but would there be enough?  I didn't want them to run out!  How embarrassing that would be! 
The ingredients...  I have a large kitchen table... this was a lot of food!
The baking of enough cake for 100+ people took 2 1/2 days in it's self!  Bake, cool, wrap, freeze... bake cool, wrap freeze...
The bottom 14 inch tier was 2 layers of dark chocolate fudge cake with strawberry filling.  The second tier was a 2 layer 10 inch golden vanilla with strawberry filling.  And the top tier was a six inch, 2 layer dark chocolate fudge cake with strawberry filling also.  Here is all 3 crumb coated with a strawberry butter cream and ready for fondant.
I have had problems in the past of the weight of the cake "crushing" the bottom tiers (remember the almost flop) Mark was here to save the day on that.  He made me custom plexi glass pacers, and there was NO "crushing".  He also came in with his muscles, when my for arms were on fire & the palms of my hands were bruised from kneading & rolling out fondant!  What a guy!  The hearts & crescents are made of gum paste (also another saving suggestion from Mark).


I covered the whole thing in luster dust.  A perfect finishing touch!

The bride had her own topper and red bows and then we tossed some rose petals around it.

I think the bride really like the cake.  In fact she liked it so much she never cut into it!  She said she wanted to keep it forever.  They served the sheet cake to the wedding guests.
February 20, 2010
200

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just don't know how you do it ... but I repeat you are amazing! BEAUTIFUL Cake! mom