Friday, March 5, 2010

A Return Customer!

A while back I did a Coach Purse cake for a friend of my Mom.  Well he called again and asked for another cake.  This time it was for his wife's baby shower.  He gave me the invitation as inspiration and $150.00 budget.  Although that was a bit much for a cake for 25 people, it gave me freedom and I think it turned out great!  This cake may even be my favorite cake I have ever made.
This was a French vanilla cake with strawberry filling & bit of a bonus.  Instead of just the strawberry filling I usually do, I added REAL strawberries this time with a touch of brown sugar sprinkled on top of them.  It had a cream cheese/butter cream frosting and a little fondant.  The larger peas were a little challenging.  I tried to make them out of cake but that didn't work.  So I tried strawberry ice cream.  That didn't work very well either.  So I had seen this done before (but never really liked the idea) and really it was my last chance, so I made them out of rice cereal.  I don't think I will be using this very often, but it was necessary for this cake and it worked fairly well.  Then my favorites new trick (I learned for the wedding cake, last week) I covered it with luster dust!  What an awesome trick to cover flaws and make it sparkle.  And who doesn't like sparkle? 


February  27, 2010
75

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I changed my mind, I'll put in my order for this one. Oh never mind, I can't choose. Everyone seems better than the one before, as if that is possible. YOU ARE AMAZING and I love you soooooo much. mom

Lisa said...

I think this one is my favorite too!