Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I Saved the Flop!

This is kind of hard to see but I looked pretty cool.  The side and top of the top tear is embossed with a Happy Birthday print, with balloons and curly streamers.  This was for a couple of friends of mine who had birthdays back to back so we did one big ladies lunch for them.  I cannot even believe this cake turned out like it did, because IT  WAS  A  MESS!!  If anything could go wrong, it DID with this cake!  Many times I wanted to call and say we are just going to have to go buy one, this is a flop!   But in the end I was able to pull it out.  The bottom tier is a white cake colored the same blue a purple as the fondant (the Birthday Girls' favorite colors).  I learned NOT to do a yokeless cake when it will need to be carved.  The top tier is dark chocolate and both have dark chocolate butter cream (that I had to make 3 batches of, because the first separated and the second clumped) and the fondant was some chocolate and some regular.   Another problem I had was trying to make that chocolate fondant!!  It was a very rainy and "humid" day (for Nevada, anyway) and I tried to blame the troubles on that, but I don't really know for sure what the problem was.  It just crumbled like dried out cake and I had to toss the whole batch of chocolate fondant.  The second batch just wouldn't get as dark as I wanted it to.  Like I said before, in the end, it turned out pretty...OK for my second topsy turve cake, anyway.  Now it tasted wonderful, so really that made up for the other flaws, I thought. ;-)~
February, 10 2010 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What F U N !!! Great job KTT ! mom